Public Health System Advisory Committee
Wednesday, July 31, 2002, 1:30 p.m.-5 p.m.
Library and Courts Building II
900 N Street, Room 340
1) Review scope of study and issues to be discussed in upcoming meetings.
2) Review core elements of a robust public health system:
3) Review public health financing:
- Specify government duties within the public health system.
- Benchmark California’s fulfillment of each of the government roles at the state and local levels.
- Discuss approaches to measuring government’s capacity and preparedness for fulfilling each of its responsibilities in public health.
- Review and map public health funding at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Discuss levels of participation and discretion.
- Discuss trends in per capita public health spending.
- Discuss options for improvement and accountability.
|1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.||Opening Remarks/Introductions
(Subcommittee Chairman, H. Eric Schockman)
|2:15 p.m. – 2:25 p.m.||Advisory Committee Process and Meeting Goals
(Executive Director, James P. Mayer)
|2:25 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.||Review Scope of Study
(Project Manager, Hattie Rees Hanley)
|2:30 p.m. – 3:40 p.m.||Discussion of Core Elements of a Robust Public Health System (Dr. George
Flores - presentation; group roundtable discussion)
|3:40 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.||Break
|3:50 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Finance
(Dr. Richard Burton and Greg Franklin, Department of Health Services – overview; John Miller - tobacco funding and legislative perspective; group roundtable discussion)